“A word after a word after a word is power,” wrote Margaret Atwood. And this week we want to underline the importance of making one’s voice heard through writing. At times we might struggle to find the right words, yet to stay silent is to be complicit, and thus we are compelled to speak up. Even beyond the position you might take, writing is an opportunity to speak out about something you feel has to change, to express your values and ideals. To help you get started, here are some prompts to encourage deep thinking and reflection.
- What social responsibility do we have as artists /writers?
- What are some steps we can take to encourage unity?
- What causes are important to you?
- What local problems do you think we should try to solve as a society?
- What conversations are you currently having with friends and family?
- What makes someone a great leader?
- What acts of bravery have you witnessed?
- Given unlimited resources, what scientific, social or medical problem would you research?
- How can you make a real impact in your community?
- How would you like to help our world?
You can find these prompts and many more on the Paperblanks app. If you haven’t downloaded it yet, we’ve provided links on the bottom right of this page where you can gain access to hundreds of prompts on varying themes and topics.