With all manner of digital communications at our fingertips, staying in touch is now easier than ever. However, in this digital age the personal touch of a handwritten letter is not only meaningful but treasured by many.
A thoughtful note written on beautiful paper can be a pleasant surprise for the recipient, while for the sender it’s an opportunity to slow down and cozy up with a cup of tea, enjoying the feeling of the pen gliding across the page.
If you love sending letters but don’t know what to write about, here are some prompts to help you get into the writing spirit.
- Send a follow-up thank-you note for a gift you received, letting the gifter know you are still using and loving the item.
- Write to a friend and describe a new favourite place to visit.
- Send a note to your elementary school, updating them about where you are today and what you are up to.
- Send a new mom a note of encouragement.
- Write to a loved one letting them know five things you appreciate about them.
- Send a postcard to someone who has moved away to let them know your city misses them.
- Send one of your favourite recipes for a friend to try.
- Write to a child in your life (include a stamp and ask them to write back). Kids don’t get enough mail and they love it!
- Write to a friend who lives far away to plan a future trip to see each other.
- Write a thank-you note for a public servant or organization you admire.
- Write to your future self (don’t open it until years later!).
- Send mail to a social media friend to connect in a more personal way.
- Send a note, just because, to someone you know is lonely.
- Write to an old friend and tell them five things that make you most happy right now.
- Write a letter to the editor of your favourite magazine.
Check out all our prompts on the Paperblanks app! If you haven’t downloaded it yet, we’ve provided links on the bottom right of this page where you can gain access to hundreds of prompts on varying themes and topics.
And be sure to join us in our People of Paperblanks Facebook group so you can share your work with the rest of the Paperblanks community. We’d love to see what you write or create using these prompts!